This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. Read More









Main Surgery

Churchfield Surgery 




Branch Surgery

Sandsend Surgery




General Queries: HRWCCG.sandsmp-admin@nhs.net

Dispensing Queries: ssmp.dispensing@nhs.net




The surgery will be undergoing modifications during February/March 2020. Please see the News and Events tab for more information

 Patient Transport Service      


  • Patients have to book the transport to the hospital themselves NOT the surgery.
  • The service will only accept patients who are housebound, visually impaired or have severe mobility issues. 
  • If friends/relatives cannot take you to your hospital appointment and you do not fit the above criteria, please call the Good Neighbours service. 
  • 01947 602982



















                            Mental Health Support  














In Times of Bereavement


In the unfortunate event that a person has passed away, there are three things that must be done in the first few days;

  • Get a medical certificate from your GP or hospital doctor (this is necessary to register the death)
  • Register the death within 5 days (8 days in Scotland). You will then receive the necessary documents for the funeral.
  • Make the necessary funeral arrangements.

Register the death

If the death has been reported to the coroner (or Procurator Fiscal in Scotland) they must give permission before registering the death.

You can register the death if you are a relative, a witness to the death, a hospital administrator or the person making the arrangements with the funeral directors.

You can use the ‘Register a Death’ page on the gov.uk website that will guide you through the process. This will also explain the registration process for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Arrange the funeral

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered. Most people use a funeral director, though you can arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral directors

Choose a funeral director who’s a member of one of the following:

These organisations have codes of practice - they must give you a price list when asked.

Some local councils run their own funeral services, for example for non-religious burials. The British Humanist Association can also help with non-religious funerals.

Arranging the funeral yourself

Contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department of your local council to arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral costs

Funeral costs can include:

  • funeral director fees
  • things the funeral director pays for on your behalf (called ‘disbursements’ or ‘third-party costs’), for example, crematorium or cemetery fees, or a newspaper announcement about the death
  • local authority burial or cremation fees

Funeral directors may list all these costs in their quotes.



The Empty Chair – Support group for the bereaved.


The Empty Chair is a local voluntary group set up to provide support to people who have experienced some profound loss in their lives.


They meet in the afternoon on the 1st Thursday of the month from 1.30 to 3.30pm at the Coliseum, Station Square, Whitby. It is free of charge, but a donation towards refreshments would be appreciated.


  • To be with people who understand
  • To share any worries or concerns
  • To know that there is someone who will simply listen
  • Or just go along for a cup of tea or coffee with people who care.


Simply go along to a meeting and you will be made very welcome, or if you prefer to speak to someone first, please feel free to contact Pat Charlesworth on 01947 603773.









Caring for someone can be very difficult and many people find that they need extra help with the care they provide.Find out what support you might be able to receive here - provided by NHS Choices. This page also provides lots of help and advice.




Do you look after someone with an illness, disability or mental health condition?  

Would you like an opportunity to talk about your caring role? 


  We support all unpaid carers from the age of 8 years upwards, across Whitby and surrounding areas. Caring can have an impact on your health and wellbeing - what’s your backup plan if you become ill or unavailable?

We can focus on you and help reduce the stress of caring by:


Assisting to maximise your income

Provide an understanding and listening ear

Signpost or refer to the relevant services required

Provide relevant advice and information


Scarborough & Ryedale Carers Resource, 96 High Street, Snainton, Scarborough, YO13 9AJ. Telephone: 01723 850155 email:staff@carersresource.net      www.carersresource.net




Other local NHS services


You should call the NHS 111 service if you need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency.

You will be assessed, given advice and directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. Calls to NHS 111 are free from landlines and mobile phones.


NHS choices www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx 

Information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.



For Minor injuries contact minor injuries department:

Whitby Hospital, Springhill, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO21 1EE 01947 604851


Your local pharmacist will be able to give you free health advice and you don't need an appointment. Many pharmacies operate extended hours on a rota basis. For details call NHS Direct



Useful Links






If you would like more information on the care that is available in this area, please follow the link below for a directory of care providers. 




Total visitors:175901 | Disclaimer